6-2 Legislative Acts

Title 14 / Chapter I / Subchapter C / Part 43 / 43.12



  

  After some pretty shallow research I have come to find what I believe is the most influential Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) for the industry.

Title 14 - Chapter I - Subchapter - C - Part 43  - 43.12

Otherwise known as Maintenance records: Falsification, reproduction, or alteration. 

What does this mean to me? It means negligence, it means a lack of ownership in your work. Willingly and purposefully falsefying or altering manitenance records is the coward's way of saying you cannot trust your own work so you must hide it. 

This is deep for me, I have seen aircraft go down, I have seen people lose their lives because of this, I have seen people lose qualifications. I have both been a part of investigations and I have been investigated.

In my 6 years eperience in engine manufacturing assembly and test, the only reason I have ever seen a rhyme or reason for someone to want to falsify maintenance records is for the simple fact that they are trying to hide something. No lapse of judgement should ever allow for a circumstance where you should have to falsify or alter maintenance records. If there is a reason for such negligence, there is no excuse as to why you should be doing maintenance to an aircraft or its subassemblies in the first place. 

Air Midwest Flight 5481 January 8, 2003

A commuter flight leaving charlotte, North Carolina, pitched 54 degrees up directly out of takeoff, causing the plane to stall. Pilots were unable to recover from the stall and all passengers and crew aboard were killed. Due to negligence of maintenance practices, as well as maintenance records, the plane had an incorrect CG readout as well as incorrect maintenance on the elevator control cables. Both of these went undiscovered until the NTSB investigation took place following the crash. Which then allowed for the revision of estimated weight values which had not been revised since almost 70 years prior. 


National Transportation Safety Board. (2004, February 26). Loss of Pitch Control During Takeoff Air Midwest Flight 5481 Raytheon (Beechcraft) 1900D, N233YV Charlotte, North Carolina January 8, 2003. National Transportation Safety Board. Retrieved 2022, from https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/AAR0401.pdf









zz






v

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human Factors in Aviation blog 5.3